Mykonos has become one of the most popular of the Aegean islands. Although the dry, rugged island is one of the smallest of the Cyclades—it’s only 10 miles long and 7 miles wide—travelers from all over the world are drawn to its sandy beaches, thatched windmills, and picturesque port town, Mykonos. The island can be reached by air from Athens (daily service) and takes 30 to 35 minutes. If you prefer to travel by ship, you have a choice of ferries, flying dolphins, hydrofoils, or catamarans that leave from Piraeus or Rafina.
Mykonos Town (or Chora) is the Saint-Tropez of the Greek islands. The setting is memorable with its whitewashed streets, Little Venice, the Kato Myli ridge of windmills, Kastro—the town’s medieval quarter—and its cubical two-story houses and churches, long celebrated as some of the best examples of classic Cycladis architecture. Located on the south coast of the island are two of the most famous beaches. Super Paradise is the choice of gays and is tolerant to nudists. Paradise Beach attracts mostly a young crowd with its day and night beach parties. Plati Gialos and Psarou, both near the town of Plati Gialos, are beautiful and popular beaches with sports facilities and restaurants and bars nearby.
A must see attraction is Delos, a tiny, uninhabited island located 1 mile from Mykonos Town. is one of the most important archaeological sites in Greece. Once a major religious center, it became a thriving commercial port in the 3rd and 2nd centuries B.C. It is now an open-air archaeological museum with mosaics and marble ruins covered in wild flowers in spring. Daily ferry service from Mykonos Town is available.
Things to do:
- Have a cool drink at picturesque Little Venice on the harbor
- See the famous windmills near Little Venice
- Swim at one of the many lovely beaches, from Paradise Beach where the party never stops, to Psarou, Elia, or Ornos beaches which are quieter and more relaxing
- Take a short boat ride to Delos, once the religious and political center of the Cyclades
- Look for the supposedly 250 white churches on the island
- Observe beautiful sunsets from Mykonos Town
Recommended places to stay:
- Belvedere Hotel
- Grace Mykonos
- Myconian Ambassador Hotel
- Myconian Imperial Hotel
- Mykonos Blu
- Mykonos Grand Hotel
- Royal Myconian Hotel
- Santa Marina Resort